Our new website is currently under construction .....................
Horseshoes and Handprints is a charity providing horse centred therapy for those with special needs. Although originally for children and families living with autism, the therapy has been found to be beneficial for a wide range of disorders and health problems including:-
- Confidence/self esteem
- Emotional and behavioural problems
- Eating disorders
- Bullying/school exclusion
- Cerebral Palsy/Downs Syndrome
- Communication problems
- Post traumatic stress disorder
- Hyper activity and other neurological conditions
Close contact and interaction with horses is highly sensory. Activities may include:- touching, stroking, grooming and handling the horses, decorating and painting them, leading and working the horses in hand and riding them, and a wide range of benefits have been reported by families and professionals, for example:-
- better speech and communication
- fewer incidents of meltdown and negative behaviour
- improved memory and attention span
- greater confidence and self-esteem
- improved motor skills and proprioception
- better eating patterns resulting in a healthier more varied diet
- improvement in general health and better functioning immune system
- decrease in stress levels therefore generally calmer and more focused
- improved social skills
- All of which lead to a happier family environment
What parents say:
"To hear my autistic son say 'mum,mum' for the first time was pure magic. Horseshoes and Handprints have given us hope and progress with their personalised unique family experience.I cannot commend them enough."
"Nine months speech and language progress in 90 minutes. Visible results in our son after every session"
"Our first session for our son this afternoon with the whole family. He was a changed boy, not once did he feel anxious and he wanted to participate in everything. I even, for the first time have a truly happy picture of him smiling when he was doing the painting."
"I’ve had yet another peaceful night!!! He didn't wake up once with his rocking - so I know this is not a coincidence now as last time he slept all the way through without any problems as well."
For more information :-
Tel: 01460 394375 or